Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

No Music

Most of the time when I write, I have music going in the background. A beautiful song can evoke thoughts and words that I'm sure I never would have thought of on my own. What happens when I turn off the music and write in total silence, with only the sound of normalcy playing in the background? Let's see, shall we?

It has been a most blustery autumn week. Actually, the past couple weeks have been this way. I'm almost certain the wind was trying to lift those out in the middle of it up and away...somewhere. Perhaps to Neverland or the Hundred Acre Wood, where they would have heard a dialog something like this:
Winnie the Pooh:Happy "Winds-day", Piglet.
Piglet: [being blown away] Well... it isn't... very happy... f-for me.
Winnie the Pooh: Where are you going, Piglet?
Piglet: That's what I'm asking myself, where? W-Whoops! P-P-P-Pooh!
Winnie the Pooh: And what do you think you will answer yourself?

What would you answer yourself if you were being carried off my the north wind? If I was being lifted up and spirited away, I should fancy I'd ask, " Will they have peppermint ice cream and Earl Grey tea where we're going, Mrs. Wind? For I should not like to go to a place that is dreadful enough to not have either of those wonderful things." However, being lifted in the wind's arms and taken to some wonderful "other world" would be an adventure of great proportions and I think I would relish every moment of the journey.

Last night, I discovered something very exciting. I was in a fabric store looking for just the right fabric to make my closet curtains with, and what should I come across? Brace yourself...Junior Mints that have peppermint pieces in the chocolate coating! Yes, I know this will probably alter your world somewhat, I know it did mine;-) I love junior mints and adding peppermint to them is simply genius, that's what it is! If you have not tried this wonderful holiday treat, do yourself a favor and go searching for some. Peppermint bark is quite extraordinary too, so you may have to look for that while you're at it. It's preferable to enjoy such treats with a wonderful cup of irish breakfast tea. Pop one in your mouth right after you've had a sip of tea and it will melt in the most perfect fashion...or at least I think so.

My Nama is here visiting me for two whole weeks! Glory! She is simply wonderful and I may never let her leave. There's nothing I enjoy more than spending time talking to her about "the olden days" and taking her to all my favorite spots. She's so easy to have around, never expecting anything and then when "anything" is thrust upon her, she enjoys it with relish. Plus, she is a master seamstress and it is so much fun being able to have the designs for clothes and decorations I have floating around in my head actually come to life! It's even more fun to tell people who ask where I got such a beautiful creation that "my Nama made it for me." She's a lover of peppermints, dark chocolate, and tea as well...must be where I get my good taste from;-)
In fact, as I type away, I have the hum of a sowing machine singing in the back ground.

For the first time in my life I am really and truly excited about winter. I have no idea why. I am not a cold weather person and never have been, but I am relishing the cold weather and actually, brace yourself, excited about snow! Yes, I know this is shocking, or will be to those who personally know me. Perhaps it's because I have this plan to snuggle down in my little room this winter, drinking lots and lots of tea and reading and writing till my hearts content. That could have something to do with it. Plus, I could very well be chirping a different tune come February...probably will be. Please remind me then, when I'm complaining about the snow and cold, that I was wishing for it back in October. But, for now I'm excited. I have an entire stack of books not written after 1920 that I am planning to become quite lost in. I need to make some new book friends, the kind that work their way into your heart and soul and require that you visit often. The Emily of New Moon trilogy is like that for me. Actually, I'm overdue a visit to New Moon and plan to visit within the next few days.

That reminds me, I cannot understand this new craze with Kindle or whatever that electronic book thing is called. I'm sorry, but bound books have been around for hundreds of years and I do not see how that can be improved on. There is nothing to me like opening an old, well worn book, who's binding is loose from years of being loved and diving into all that it is. The smell of books is heavenly and feeling the turn of the page or clasping it to your heart when it seems to be breaking for all the book is telling you, cannot be found in an electronic device. No offense to those of you out there who are addicted to your "electronic book" but I for one have no desire to purchase such a contraption. Then again, I am very old fashioned and despise my cell phone and do not much care for facebook either, let alone Twitter...actually, I will use great self control and not even address the subject of Twitter. I mean, I don't even own a T.V. nor do I desire to. Yes, I'm that old fashioned;-)

Huh, and this all came from not listening to music while I wrote...what do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment